Over the past few weeks, I have made several changes and upgrades to a critical project. Thanks to the implementation of automated testing early on, this process has not been as stressful as you might expect. Automated testing allowed me to make changes, quickly identify any issues, and fix them.
When I talk about automated testing with friends or at conferences, I find that developers love the promise of it, but many do not implement it for various reasons.
It's a lot like exercising 👉 those who regularly exercise can't imagine missing their spin class or going a week without hitting the gym or running a few miles.
For those who don't exercise, while you know it's good for you, it's hard to get started.
So, I want to help!
Could you take just 8 seconds to answer my polls?
Regardless of whether you implement automated testing in your Microsoft 365 development projects or not, please answer the poll. If you have another 30 seconds, reply to the poll (or privately by replying to this issue) with your specific frustrations.
🍿 Click Worthy Things
The slow news cycle of the summer months is hopefully coming to an end as people get back from vacations, leave the beaches, and back to their desks. But I did find a few things to share…
- 🔌 Microsoft Graph connectors enable organizations to index content from custom sources. This enables developers to expose data from back-end LOB systems & custom apps that live in the cloud or on-premises to the Microsoft Graph. Last week, Microsoft rolled out the ability to surface connectors in the Microsoft 365 web app & an updated admin experience in the Microsoft Teams admin center. Check out some of the public connectors or learn how developers can create your own connectors.
- 🔎 Carrying on with the Microsoft Graph theme, the Developer Proxy was recently updated (to v0.10) to support batching & checking for minimal permissions required for a batch request.
- 🎁 The SharePoint Framework team is making progress on the next version of SPFx (v1.18) with yet another beta (#3) release last week. This is shaping up to be yet another Viva Connections release for SPFx. Makes you wonder... 🤔 have we seen the last innovations for SharePoint or Microsoft Teams apps for SPFx?
🏆 My Picks
- 🛰️ NASA accidentally pointed Voyager 2 away from Earth and severed communications with the nearly 46 year old probe. That's sort of hard to fix when it's over 12 BILLION miles from Earth!
Thankfully, the JPL engineers thought of this & had built in an automated calibration process into the probe and have re-established contact. I can't get enough of the dev stories out of JPL and their insanely unique scenarios like this!
- 🗺️ Ever wanted to use markdown to create cool charts, maps, & visualizations? You're in luck with Markwhen! It even handles project timelines!